Wednesday, October 14, 2009

I'm Not Just an Uncle Anymore, I'm a Great One!


Though it will be tempting for one and all to offer me heartfelt congratulations on becoming a great uncle, the real credit goes to my niece Maiju and father, Germano. To them was born a daughter, Sofia, at 6:07 this morning in Bologna, Italy. She is half Finnish and half Italian. Kind of like eating pizza in a sauna.

Is this another one of those posts that has nothing to do with movies because if it is...

Calm down italics guy. The proud new papa is a director and actor, who directed the award winning documentary, La Stato Di Eccezione. He also made a documentary on my late, great father.

The mom is the oldest of the quartet that comprise my two nieces and nephews. They are incredibly wonderful people, all of whom were born and raised in Berkeley. I've had the great pleasure of watching them become adults. My two nephews , the poor lads, share my sports affiliations so are destined for a lifetime of misery, at least where rooting is concerned. Youngest niece is an artist and I honestly don't know why any of her work is not yet in the Louvre.

Their dad is my older brother. No one had to suffer a more annoying younger brother than he. I wince to think of what a brat I was (was?). He is married to a woman who is reputedly one of the world's greatest ESL teachers and is without question the greatest instructors of the Finnish language living on these shores.

I've been an unqualified success in only three areas in my life. As a father, soccer coach and uncle. I will now try to add success as a great uncle to the list.

Bravo to the new parents and welcome to the family, Sofia, you coulda done a lot worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment